In a perfect world, plastic surgery mistakes would never happen. Unfortunately, they do. So, now you have decisions to make.
Should you have a corrective procedure, and if so, how do you choose the best revision rhinoplasty surgeon in DC?
What Exactly Is Revision Rhinoplasty?
Revision rhinoplasty essentially corrects a previous nose job. Mistakes typically occur because the initial surgeon may have lacked qualifications or experience which resulted in an asymmetrical, misshapen, or dysfunctional nose.
While it does have benefits, this is a more intricate procedure than the initial surgery, necessitating a top rhinoplasty surgeon. Scar tissue and changes in bone and cartilage from the initial procedure make revision rhinoplasty longer, usually two to five hours. In addition, recovery after this procedure can be a bit more difficult, due to prolonged swelling.
It’s typically advised to wait for a period of 12 to 18 months after your initial surgery. This allows for adequate tissue healing and the reduction of swelling before undergoing another surgical procedure.
What Is Revision Rhinoplasty Recovery Like?
It’s important to recognize that each person’s recovery is unique. Some essential considerations include maintaining a healthy diet, staying hydrated, and following all instructions given to you by your surgeon.
If you smoke, now is a great time to stop, even if it’s only temporary. Smoking inhibits your body’s ability to heal. You should also avoid aspirin and other medications with blood thinning properties.
How Do I Find an Experienced Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon?
It’s important to focus on their experience and outcomes. These steps can guide you to the right surgeon:
- Do your research. Begin by researching surgeons who clearly state they specialize in revision rhinoplasty. Look for board-certified plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons with extensive experience in this field.
- Ask for recommendations. Seek recommendations from medical professionals who may have insights. Friends or family who have undergone similar procedures may also provide recommendations.
- Verify qualifications. Ideally, the surgeon has board certifications with both The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery and The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. They should also have a proven track record of successful revisions.
- Review before / after photos. Most reputable surgeons have these photos on their websites or in their offices. Examine them to assess the quality of their work and whether their style aligns with your aesthetic goals.
- Read reviews. Look for patient reviews and testimonials on websites, social media, and healthcare platforms. Positive feedback from previous patients can indicate a surgeon’s skill and patient satisfaction.
- Schedule consultations. Don’t limit your choices. Arrange consultations with experienced surgeons. During these meetings, discuss your concerns, ask questions about their approach to revision rhinoplasty, and evaluate their communication style and professionalism.
- Ask about their approach. Inquire about the surgeon’s surgical approach and techniques for revision rhinoplasty. They should be able to explain how they plan to address your specific concerns.
- Verify hospital privileges: Ensure the surgeon has privileges to perform surgeries at accredited hospitals or surgical centers. In some cases, plastic surgeons have their own surgical centers. If this is the case, it needs to be certified by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).
- Discuss expectations. Have a thorough conversation about your expectations and goals for the revision. The best revision rhinoplasty surgeon in DC should be able to provide realistic expectations and discuss potential outcomes.
- Request references. Don’t hesitate to ask for references from previous revision rhinoplasty patients. Speaking with individuals who have gone through the process can be valuable.
- Consider comfort. Trust your instincts and choose a surgeon with whom you feel comfortable and confident. The patient-surgeon relationship is crucial for a successful outcome. If you do not feel at ease or if anything feels off, know it’s okay to keep looking.
- Review costs and financing. Discuss the costs associated with your procedure, including surgical fees, anesthesia, and post-operative care. Ask about financing options if needed.
- Pay attention to red flags. Be cautious of surgeons who make unrealistic promises, tries to rush you into a decision, or does not provide clear answers to your questions.
Why Is a Consultation So Important?
Before any surgical procedure, it’s vital to schedule a consultation. Not only do you need to make sure it’s safe for you to proceed, but it’s a great opportunity to meet the surgeon face to face. Many people find this the easiest way to make their final decision.
During the meeting, issues can be assessed from your previous surgery, and safe solutions can be suggested. Allow the surgeon to guide the discussion by sharing their observations and recommendations. Together, you can develop a customized and effective plan to achieve your specific goals.
A Final Note About Expectations…
Patients often seek to mimic the nose of a favorite celebrity, hoping to replicate their nostril symmetry or shape. However, attempting to imitate someone else’s nose seldom leads to satisfying outcomes. Instead, let your surgeon create a plan that leads to results that celebrate your uniqueness!
You’ll Find the Best Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon in DC at The Center for Cosmetic Surgery!
To explore whether revision rhinoplasty is the right option, schedule a consultation with Dr. Steven Hopping. As a quadruple-board-certified cosmetic surgeon, his exceptional skills are what you need to correct a previous nose job.
Contact us at 202-785-3175 to book your appointment. We are looking forward to meeting you and the chance to collaborate towards achieving your desired final outcome.