Have you spent money on hair restoration treatments only to find they fail or at best provide only fleeting results? A hair transplant, while an investment, will certainly save you money in the long run.
Say goodbye to products that don’t work, and hello to a procedure that does! But, is it affordable? How much does a hair transplant cost for women in Washington, DC?
How Does a Hair Transplant Work? What Types Are Available?
A hair transplant is the process of harvesting hair follicles (donor hair) from one area of your head and transplanting it where it’s needed. Donor hair is usually taken from the sides or back of your head, where thinning usually isn’t an issue.
There are two common hair transplant methods that are typically used:
- Follicular unit transplantation (FUT): During an FUT transplant, strips of skin are removed and then individual follicles are harvested. Those follicles are prepared and then transplanted to the hairless area.
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE): Unlike FUT, which requires surgical removal of skin, a small circular punch is used to remove individual hair follicles from the donor area, which are then transplanted to the treatment site. FUEs reduce the risk of linear scarring and offer more natural looking results.
Are Hair Transplant Results Permanent?
Yes, they are considered permanent, as hair grows for life in the new location. However, growth might slow down over time as part of the natural aging process.
Am I a Good Candidate for a Hair Transplant?
Before we talk about the hair transplant cost for women in Washington, DC, let’s talk about the criteria that need to be met before surgery. While this procedure is considered safe, that doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone.
Before scheduling surgery, you will need to have a hair transplant consultation with your doctor. This meeting is done to evaluate your medical history and health conditions to ensure it’s safe for you to proceed with treatment.
Here’s the Bottom Line on Hair Transplant Costs
Transplant costs vary greatly, and you won’t find an exact price for your specific needs online. You need a consultation with a specialist for customized pricing.
That being said, it can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $15,000 or more. How much you pay for your depends on several factors:
- Geographic location (Areas with a higher cost of living tend to see higher surgical fees.)
- Experience of your hair transplant doctor
- Number of hair follicles that are harvested / transplanted
- Additional fees (Consultation, anesthesia, and / or facility)
If you have a health condition that doesn’t exclude you from surgery but might make it risky, it’s possible you’ll need medical tests for clearance. You can also incur those costs.
You should also give thought to out-of-pocket expenses. Will you need help at home during your recovery? Extra childcare? Meal deliveries? What about travel expenses?
It isn’t likely health insurance will cover a hair transplant, because insurance usually only covers procedures they consider medically necessary. The best way to find out what your insurance covers is to speak to your carrier directly.
For Your Customized Hair Transplant Cost for Women in Washington, DC, Turn to the Area’s Top Hair Restoration Doctor
Nearly 30% of women experience hair loss. If you’re one of them, it’s time to make the call to Dr. Steven B. Hopping at The Center for Cosmetic Surgery to schedule a consultation! Dr. Hopping is a board-certified plastic surgeon and diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery.
Call us today at 202-785-3175, or request an appointment online now! As medical director of The Washington Hair Institute, Dr. Hopping truly knows how to get to the “root” of the problem so your results exceed your expectations.